***UPDATE: THURSDAY, 3/23
BIG NIGHT OUTING TONIGHT!
Vlei Marsh, 186 Vlei Road Rhinebeck.
Limited parking, please car pool***
Winnkaee is thrilled to promote the Department of Environmental Conservation’s Amphibian Migration and Road Crossing (AM&RC) program, aka “Big Night.” Become a citizen scientist and help save amphibians when they migrate to lay eggs in spring vernal pool!
On the first warm, rainy night in March, volunteers will head out shortly after sunset and join us in helping amphibians safely cross the road. Afterwards, you’ll submit data to the DEC to help monitor populations of amphibians. This data helps reveal the health of our watersheds and identify areas of conservation importance.
Want to get involved? Register to volunteer in Rhinebeck, Red Hook, Milan, Tivoli areas to receive updates when amphibians are on the move. Attend the DEC virtual training and watch additional training videos. Learn more and prepare your resources to be ready to count amphibians and help them cross the road.
VOLUNTEER IN RHINEBECK
Carli Fraccarolli and Climate Smart Rhinebeck are leading the DEC AM&RC Project program for Rhinebeck (Town and Village).
VOLUNTEER IN RED HOOK, MILAN, TIVOLI AREAS
Amy Shein is heading up the DEC AM&RC Project and the Saw Kill Watershed Community Amphibian Migration Project in Red Hook, Milan and Tivoli areas.
DEC VIRTUAL BIG NIGHT VOLUNTEER TRAINING MATERIALS
Missed the volunteer training on Feb 28? Watch the recorded video!
Interested in learning more? Check out the volunteer training modules created by the DEC. You’ll find presentations on the importance of wetlands, forests, and amphibians; woodland pool ecology and breeding migrations; amphibian identification; how to be an AM&RC volunteer; and how to locate a potential crossing site. Total time to watch all five is about 80 minutes.
BIG NIGHT ITSELF
WHAT: Winnakee will be counting amphibians and helping them cross the road!
WHERE: Vlei Road, near Vlei Marsh entrance at 186 Vlei Road, Rhinebeck (see map below)
WHEN: To be determined, one of the first rainy warm nights in March. Hours 7:00-9:00pm.
HOW: Sign up to volunteer below and indicate Vlei Rd. We’ll be in touch soon about next steps!
The Vlei Marsh location of BIG NIGHT will take place near the gate entrance to the preserve, 186 Vlei Road.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR BIG NIGHT:
- Amphibian Identification Guide PDF
- DEC Amphibian Crossing Resource page
- Online Data Form Instructions (PDF).
- Data Form (PDF): Use for printing and recording observations in the field.
- AM&RC Volunteer Handbook (this is a must read!)
- Webinar – Introduction to Vernal Pools with Dr. Mary Beth Kolozsvary (January 25, 2022 recording) | webinar transcript (PDF)
- Webinar – Amphibian Migrations: Case Studies in Reducing Mortality at Road Crossings with Brett Amy Thelen and Chris Slesar (February 1, 2022 recording) | webinar transcript (PDF)
- Webinar – Vernal Pool Habitat Conservation with Dr. Aram Calhoun and Dr. Matt Schlesinger (February 15, 2022 recording) | webinar transcript (PDF)