Hyde Park Walkabout
Hyde Park Healthy Trails Walkabout
Come hike the yellow and red trail at Winnakee Nature Preserve to work towards your annual walkabout patch! This easy to moderate hike takes you on dirt-surfaced woods roads with rolling hills for a 1.3 mile hike round trip. You’ll enjoy babbling brooks and a chorus of forest birds as you meander through upland hardwood forests and hemlock groves.
Walkabout is a project to promote healthy physical activity – walking on trails. Walk at least 5 trails, see great places, get great exercise, and earn a free sew-on patch.
Starting your Walkabout:
- Download and print a walkabout brochure by clicking here or pick one up at any of the locations listed below.
- Walk at least 5 trails on the maps and checklist.
- Turn in your completed checklist at any location below to receive your free “Walkabout” patch.
- Hyde Park Recreation Dept. at Hackett Hill Park (By appointment 845-229-8086 x 5)
- Wallace Visitor & Education Center at FDR Home & Presidential Library
- Vanderbilt Mansion Visitor Center
- Val-Kill Visitor Center (seasonal)
- The River Connection Outdoor outfitters on West Market St.
View the Winnakee Nature Preserve trail map